Date(s) - 25/06/2015
4:30 pm - 8:00 pm
GL3 Community Hub
Categories No Categories
GLOUCESTERSHIRE MARKET TOWNS FORUM
Are you interested in making Gloucestershire communities thrive? If so, we need you to attend our next FREE GMTF networking meeting – Thursday 25th June 2015.
Our meeting is in two parts:
- Seeing on the ground what has worked in Churchdown (from 4.30pm)
- Engaging in the challenges we face and action to create LIVING, WORKING COMMUNITIES (after buffet refreshments at 6.30pm)
Please aim to come for one or both parts. Please invite others too – for example from local business forums.
Churchdown Parish Council are our hosts, and the meeting is at the GL3 Community Hub, Cheltenham Road East, Churchdown, Gloucester, GL3 1HX
- free parking on site; for map see: http://gl3communityhub.org.uk/contact/
Part 1: Seeing on the ground WHAT HAS WORKED IN CHURCHDOWN (tour starting at about 5pm)
Churchdown Parish Council will lead a tour of the parish – no walking involved. We will learn how the Parish Council acquired its eight parks and open spaces and how they are governed and maintained cost effectively. There will be an opportunity to try out the adult exercise equipment!
We will hear about the development of a joint Churchdown & Innsworth Neighbourhood Development Plan. The Parish Council will share how it has engaged all age-groups within its community to influence the design of a new housing development. The tour will also include:
- pond project which attained a European award, now maturing well;
- Imjin barracks – how it links with the Parish;
- the Triumph development – how the parish contributed towards influencing a decision that prevented re-location to America which safeguarded local jobs and will generate new places for apprentices;
- housing development sites proposed by the joint core strategy.
Part 2: Engaging in the challenges we face in creating LIVING, WORKING COMMUNITIES (after buffet refreshments at 6.30pm)
After a very short Annual General Meeting covering a summary of the work of the Gloucestershire Market Towns Forum for the year ended 31st March 2015, members and guests can have their say in planning for the future.
The aim is to learn from each other:
- How do Churchdown PC manage so many open spaces?
- How did Nailsworth decide to spend so much on youth services?
- Does the Stow Times offer a model for good communication with residents, while reinforcing local business vitality?
- Can neighbourhood planning deliver better ways of managing growth?
- Will the new rural business grants help create jobs locally?
- How did Newent achieve public realm transformation of its town centre?
Should the Forum (your forum!) start a so-called “benchmarking exercise” to help spread best practice? Through gathering basic information about each of our members’ experience, we might highlight the potential, the difficulties in delivery and how action can be identified to create and sustain LIVING WORKING COMMUNITIES.
We might also explore how we might work with other organisations such as the GAPTC and GRCC – to deliver joined-up best practice advice, based in sound practical experience among our members.
Please make every effort to come – to either or both parts of the meeting and join us in this learning opportunity. RSVP (for catering purposes) to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01594 516383.